Almost everyone makes new year’s resolutions. Some of the most known are ‘quit smoking’, ‘more exercise’, ‘lose weight’, ‘stress less’ or ‘live more healthy’. Tourmedical wants to help you to set a few resolutions for 2016 for healthier teeth. Here are some do’s and don’ts for a beautiful smile.
- Avoid foods and beverages that are higher in acid, such as soda, and citrus fruits and drinks.
- Cut back on wine and yogurt, which also may be acidic.
- Brush your teeth twice per day with a soft bristled brush
- Clean between the teeth once a day with floss or interdental cleaners to remove plaque from between the teeth.
- Don’t brush and floss teeth too vigorously.
- Change your toothbrush every three months.
- A mouth rinse in addition to daily brushing and flossing can increase the cleanness of your mouth.
- Visit your dentist two times a year for regular check-ups.
- Visit your dentist if you have pain or swelling in the mouth, face or neck; jaw pain; or bleeding or swelling of the gums, if your mouth is constantly dry or if you notice sores or spots inside your mouth.
- Avoid packaged foods that can sit on the shelf for a long period of time, such as crackers and pretzels; they contain starch. Starch coats the teeth and can breed cavity-causing bacteria.
- Juice often contains a lot of sugar; this sugar can coat the teeth, promoting tooth decay. Choose to drink water instead.
- Cavities don't hurt until they become infected. Another reason for regular visits to your dentist.
Almost all tooth decay and most gum disease can be prevented with good oral hygiene. It’s so easy, just take a few minutes each day to brush and floss. That’s not a lot in return for a lifetime of healthy teeth and gums and a beautiful smile. This is what you can do every day for your teeth.
For advice on your dental problems or any questions about a dental treatment, contact Tourmedical. Everyone deserves an affordable beautiful smile. Check our website to learn more about our treatments. Let 2016 be the year that you got your smile back!